CBDT Guidelines/ Manual on Procedure for Registration, Preparation & Submission of Statement of Financial Transactions (SFT) as per IT section 285BA read with Rule 114E along with Nature and value of transactions to be reported
CBDT has prescribed Guidelines on the Procedure for registration, preparation and submission of Statement of Financial Transactions (SFT), including nature and value of transactions to be reported in Form 61A as per IT Section 285BA read with IT Rule 114E, latest by 31 May 2017, as under:
1. Section 285BA of the Income Tax Act, 1961 (hereunder referred to as the “Act”) requires specified reporting persons to furnish statement of financial transaction. Rule 114E of the Income Tax Rules, 1962 (here-under referred to as the “Rules”) specifies that the statement of financial transaction required to be furnished under sub-section (1) of section 285BA of the Act shall be furnished in Form No. 61A. The nature and value of transaction to be furnished by the reporting person under Rule 114 E is enclosed as Annexure A.
2. As per sub rule (6)(a) of Rule 114E, every reporting person/entity shall communicate to the Principal Director General of Income-tax (Systems) the name, designation, address and telephone number of the Designated Director and the Principal Officer and obtain a registration number. The procedure for registration for statement of financial transactions (SFT) was specified in Notification No. 13 dated 30th December, 2016. The functionality for submission of statement of financial transactions has now been enabled and the earlier instruction is being updated.
3. As per sub rule (4)(a) of Rule 114E, the statement of financial transactions shall be furnished through online transmission of electronic data to a server designated for this purpose under the digital signature of the person specified in sub-rule (7) and in accordance with the data structure specified in this regard by the Principal Director General of Income-tax (Systems). The Post Master General or a Registrar or an Inspector General have the option to furnish the statement in a computer readable media, being a Compact Disc or Digital Video Disc (DVD), alongwith verification in Form-V on paper. The statement of financial transactions shall be furnished on or before the 31st May, immediately following the financial year in which the transaction is registered or recorded. The statement of financial transaction in respect of Cash deposits during the period 1st April, 2016 to 8th November, 2016 and 9th November, 2016 to 30th December, 2016 shall be furnished on or before the 31st day of January, 2017.
4. As per sub-rule (4)(b) of Rule 114E Principal Director General of Income-tax (Systems) shall specify the procedures, data structures and standards for ensuring secure capture and transmission of data, evolving and implementing appropriate security, archival and retrieval policies
5. In exercise of the powers delegated by Central Board of Direct Taxes (‘Board’) under sub rule (4)(a) and (4)(b) of Rule 114E of the Income tax Rules 1962, the Principal Director General of Income-tax (Systems) hereby lays down the following procedures:
a) Registration and Generation of Income Tax Department Reporting Entity Identification Number (ITDREIN): The reporting person/entity is required to get registered with the Income Tax Department by logging in to the e-filing website (https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/) with the log in ID used for the purpose of filing the Income Tax Return of the reporting person/entity. A link to register reporting person/entity has been provided under “My Account>Manage ITDREIN”. Once ITDREIN is generated, the reporting person/entity will receive a confirmation e-mail on the registered e-mail ID and SMS at registered mobile number. There will be no option to de-activate ITDREIN, once ITDREIN is created.
b) Registration of designated director and principal officer: The reporting person/entity will be required to submit the details of designated director and principal officer. The designated director and principal officer will receive a confirmation e-mail with an activation link. An SMS alongwith OTP (One time Password) will also be sent to the registered Mobile Number. For completion of registration, the designated director and principal officer should click on the Activation link, enter the Mobile PIN (OTP), Password and Confirm Password and click on Activate Button. On success, the registration will be complete.
c) Submission of Form 61A: Every reporting person/entity is required to submit the Statement of Financial Transaction (SFT) in Form 61A. The prescribed schema for Form 61A can be downloaded from the e-filing website home page under “Schema” tab and a utility to prepare Form 61A XML file can be downloaded from the e-filing website home page under forms (other than ITR) tab. General and transaction specific guidelines for preparation of SFT in the specified format is enclosed as Annexure B and Annexure C respectively. The designated director is required to login to the e-filing website with the ITDREIN, PAN (of the designated director) and password. The form is required to be submitted using a Digital Signature Certificate of the designated director.
d) Submission of correction statement: In case the filer subsequently discovers any defect in the statement so furnished, he is required to remove the defect by submitting a correction statement. Further, the defects in the statement so furnished will be communicated separately by the prescribed authority. Sub-section (4) of Section 2858A requires the filer to rectify the defect within the time allowed and submit a correction statement.
e) Security, archival and retrieval policies: The reporting person/entity is required to document and implement appropriate information security policies and procedures with clearly defined roles and responsibilities to ensure security of submitted information and related information/documents. The reporting person/entity is also required to document and implement appropriate archival and retrieval policies and procedures with clearly defined roles and responsibilities to ensure that submitted information and related information/documents are available promptly to the competent authorities.
Besides, CBDT has clarified that reporting/ submission of Statement of Financial Transactions (SFT) under Rule 114E is applicable when an individual transaction involves cash receipt above Rs. 2 lac for sale of goods or services, i.e. no aggregation is required. For details, please refer the link below:
Also, based on representations from stakeholders facing some technical issues, the CBDT has extended the due date for filing of such SFT from 31 May to 30 June 2017, as under: