Rule 62 of ‘Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules 2017’: Form and Manner of Submission of Quarterly Return by the Composition Supplier
Provisions under Rule 62 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Form and Manner of Submission of Quarterly Return by the Composition Supplier”, are as under:
CGST Rule 62: Form and Manner of Submission of Quarterly Return by the Composition Supplier (Chapter-VIII: Returns)
(1) Every registered person paying tax under section 10 shall, on the basis of details contained in FORM GSTR-4A, and where required, after adding, correcting or deleting the details, furnish the quarterly return in FORM GSTR-4 electronically through the common portal, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner:
[Provided that the registered person who opts to pay tax under section 10 with effect from the first day of a month which is not the first month of a quarter shall furnish the return in FORM GSTR-4 for that period of the quarter for which he has paid tax under section 10 and shall furnish the returns as applicable to him for the period of the quarter prior to opting to pay tax under section 10.]$1
(2) Every registered person furnishing the return under sub-rule (1) shall discharge his liability towards tax, interest, penalty, fees or any other amount payable under the Act or the provisions of this Chapter by debiting the electronic cash ledger.
(3) The return furnished under sub-rule (1) shall include the –
(a) invoice wise inter-State and intra-State inward supplies received from registered and un-registered persons; and
(b) consolidated details of outward supplies made.
(4) A registered person who has opted to pay tax under section 10 from the beginning of a financial year shall, where required, furnish the details of outward and inward supplies and return under rules 59, 60 and 61 relating to the period during which the person was liable to furnish such details and returns till the due date of furnishing the return for the month of September of the succeeding financial year or furnishing of annual return of the preceding financial year, whichever is earlier.
Explanation.– For the purposes of this sub-rule, it is hereby declared that the person shall not be eligible to avail of input tax credit on receipt of invoices or debit notes from the supplier for the period prior to his opting for the composition scheme.
(5) A registered person opting to withdraw from the composition scheme at his own motion or where option is withdrawn at the instance of the proper officer shall, where required, furnish the details relating to the period prior to his opting for payment of tax under section 9 in FORM GSTR- 4 till the due date of furnishing the return for the quarter ending September of the succeeding financial year or furnishing of annual return of the preceding financial year, whichever is earlier.
$1. Proviso to sub-rule (1) inserted vide Notification No. 45/2017 Central Tax dt. 13 Oct. 2017
Above information is based on Updated Compilation of “CGST Rules 2017” (as amended upto 9 Oct. 2018) shared by CBIC (i.e. as notified/ amended upto 9 Oct. 2018 by the CBIC). For detailed/ official information and/or subsequent updates, please refer relevant Notifications.
It may be noted that Rules 27 to 138 (pertaining to various Chapters) of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 were initially notified by CBIC (CBEC) vide CGST (2nd Amendment) Rules, 2017 Notification No. 10/2017 Central Tax dt. 28 June 2017, applicable w.e.f. 1 July 2017 (or as may be specified in respective Rules).