Free e-Pan Card: FAQs, Eligibility and Online Application Procedure for Aadhaar Holders
Online facility to apply for e-PAN Card and instantly downloading the same is presently being offered by the Income Tax Deptt., absolutely Free of Cost, for a limited period of time, for valid Aadhaar card holders.
Pre-requisites/ Eligibility for e-PAN Card
1. Applicant already not having PAN only can apply for e-PAN.
2. The e-PAN facility is meant for resident Individuals only, who have been allotted Aadhaar by the UIDAI. It may be noted that Minors, persons covered u/s 160 of Income Tax Act, 1961, HUFs, Firms, Trusts, Companies, etc. are not eligible to apply for the same.
3. Active Mobile number linked with Aadhaar is required to receive Aadhaar OTP (One Time Password). In case of any confusion one can verify the registered mobile number/ email in Aadhaar database by vising UIDAI portal
4. e-PAN is generated using the particulars available in Aadhaar database with UIDAI. In case the details like Name, Date of Birth, Gender, mobile number and address of the applicant in Aadhaar database is not correct/ updated, then applicant should first get the same updated with UIDAI before applying for e-PAN.
5. Scanned image of applicant’s signature has to be uploaded (Resolution: 200 DPI; Type: Color; File type: JPEG; Size of the file: Maximum 10 KB; Dimension of Signature: 2 cm X 4.5 cm (Only the Signature to be scanned).
Acknowledgement for e-PAN Application
After successful filing of e-PAN application, a 15 digit acknowledgement number will be generated and sent to the mobile number/ email ID mentioned in the application form.
Once the e-PAN is successfully allotted, the applicant will receive the SMS/ eMail alert. e-PAN may be downloaded in e-Filing Portal by clicking on Instant e-PAN –> “Check Instant e-PAN Status”. Acknowledgement number and Mobile OTP will be validated to download the e-PAN. Please note that the requisite OTP will be sent to the mobile number as provided in the e-PAN application form.
FAQs about e-PAN Card
1. What is e-PAN?
e-PAN is digitally signed PAN card issued in electronic format by the Income Tax Department using Aadhaar e-KYC.
2. What is Aadhaar based e-KYC for allotment of instant e-PAN?
Aadhaar based e-KYC (electronically Know Your Customer) is an online service provided by UIDAI for verification of identity and address of Aadhaar holder. Income Tax Department leverages this Aadhaar based e-KYC for instant e-PAN allotment.
3. Who can apply for allotment of instant e-PAN through Aadhaar e-KYC?
This facility is available to individual PAN applicants who have been allotted an Aadhaar number by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and is required to file PAN application in Form 49A being an Indian citizen. Except Minors and others covered u/s 160 of Income Tax Act, 1961.
4. Can foreign citizens apply for e-PAN using Aadhaar e-KYC?
5. Is there any mandatory requirement to apply e-PAN using Aadhaar e-KYC?
Yes, Valid Aadhaar and mobile number of PAN applicant should be registered with Aadhaar.
6. Do you require Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) for applying for e-PAN card using Aadhaar e-KYC?
7. Do I need to submit the physical copy of KYC application or proof of Aadhaar card?
No, this is a completely paperless facility and everything will be done electronically.
8. Do we need to upload scanned photo, signature etc. for e-KYC?
Only scanned image of applicant’s signature has to be uploaded with the following specifications:-
Resolution: 200 DPI; Type: Color; File type: JPEG; Size of the file: Maximum 10 KB; Dimension of Signature: 2 cm X 4.5 cm (Only the Signature to be scanned).
9. Is there any need to send acknowledgement or any document if an instant e-PAN is applied using Aadhaar e-KYC?
10. Do I need to do in-person verification (IPV)?
11. Whether facility of instant allotment of e-PAN is available for all?
Facility of allotment of instant e-PAN is not available for minor applicants and other categories of applicants as provided u/s 160 of Income-tax Act, 1961 where ‘Representative assesse’ is appointed by the applicant.
12. What is the fee for getting the instant e-PAN card through Aadhaar e-KYC?
There is no fee for using this facility at present.
13. Which are the centers for e-PAN allotment through e-KYC?
PAN application for instant allotment of e-PAN through Aadhaar e-KYC is allowed only through e-Filing website www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
14. Is e-PAN a valid proof of allotment of PAN?
15. How Aadhaar is verified during the process of e-PAN?
OTP based Aadhaar e-KYC will be carried out.
16. What should I do if I haven’t received my OTP?
You can regenerate OTP by resubmitting the Aadhaar e-KYC.
17. How many times OTP can be generated?
Any number of time.
18. During e-KYC, my Aadhaar authentication is rejected. Why? How can this problem be resolved? Who shall be contacted in this case?
There may be many reasons for rejection of Aadhaar authentication such as wrong OTP, difference between name, gender, date of birth and address fields in PAN application and Aadhaar. Problem can only be solved once there is no difference in PAN application and Aadhaar. Please update the necessary correction in UIDAI.
19. First name in Aadhaar is written in initials. But PAN application does not allow initials. Will the e-KYC be successful or will it get rejected. In this scenario, is the taxpayer required to get changes done in Aadhaar?
Aadhaar e-KYC will get rejected, PAN applicant need to update the changes in Aadhaar.
20. Can a different address other than that on the Aadhaar card be selected for dispatch of PAN Card?
No physical PAN card will be issued, Only e-PAN PDF can be downloaded in e-Filing portal after successful allotment of PAN.
21. How do I check my status of instant PAN application?
A 15 digit acknowledgement number will be generated when the on-line PAN application is successfully submitted. This 15 digit acknowledgement number can be used to check status in e-Filing Portal.
22. What is the time duration for receiving the PAN card applied through e-KYC?
Intimation of allotment of PAN will be given to PAN applicant through SMS and email. e-PAN will be issued in the shortest possible time after allotment of PAN, and can be downloaded through e-Filing portal by providing the acknowledgement number and the OTP.
23. What if my mobile number is different from the mobile number registered on UIDAI?
Please update the active mobile number in Aadhaar and after successful update, apply for e-PAN.
24.Can I apply for PAN Card with my inactive Aadhaar Card?
Note: E-Filing website has updated that Instant e-PAN allotment facility (Beta version) is closing on 06.07.2018.