ICAI’s Assessment Tests of Students during Practical Training (First/ Second Level)
The ICAI has introduced assessment tests, during practical training, having two levels, i.e. another framework for testing skills of students ICAI has postponed date of first assessment test from 26 Aug. 2018 to 23 Sept. 2018 and has issued a set of FAQs on Assessment Tests. The First and second level of tests are applicable for students completing their first and second year of practical training on or after 1 April, 2018, respectively.
ICAI Clarification on ‘Date of Completion of First/ Second year of Practical Training’ for Assessment Test
ICAI has clarified that for the purpose of Practical Training Assessment test, the first/ second year completion date would be calculated as one year/ two years after the date of commencement of practical training, irrespective of excess leaves.
Suppose a student commenced practical training on 1 July 2017 and has taken leaves from 1 January 2018 to 1 February 2018, his/ her first year completion date for the purpose of assessment test would still be considered as 30 June 2018 and for second year completion date would be 30 June 2019, irrespective of the excess leaves availed by the Student.
However, in case of termination/ transfer, the time gap during transfer from one principal to another principal will not be included in calculating completion of first/ second year of practical training.
Suppose a student commenced practical training on 1 July 2017 and takes transfer on 1 January 2018 and then joined new Principal on 1 February 2018, his/ her first year completion date for the purpose of assessment test would be extended to 31 July 2018 and second year completion date as 31 July 2019, unlike in the case of excess leaves.
ICAI Postspones date of First Assessment Test during Practical Training from 26 Aug. 2018 to 23 Sept. 2018
The first assessment test during practical training for both the category of students (first/ second level), which was scheduled to be held on 26 August, 2018 has been postponed to 23 Sept. 2018.
The students who have completed their first/ second year of practical training during the April‐June, 2018 quarter would be eligible to appear in these assessment tests anytime during September-December, 2018.
The registration related details will be hosted on the ICAI website shortly.
ICAI’s FAQs on Assessment Test during Practical Training
ICAI has issued a set of FAQs on Assessment Tests, as summarised here-under:
1. What is the ICAI criteria for appearing in assessment tests during practical training?
Students who have completed their first or second year of practical are eligible for appearing in the assessment test.
2. When to appear for Assessment Test? Is any extension possible?
They can appear in the next quarter which is subsequent to the quarter in which they have completed their first or second year of practical training. For example, a student completing his/ her first/ second year of training in July-Sept. 2018 quarter will be eligible for assessment test during Oct.-Dec. 2018 quarter. Besides, these student may be given an extension of 3 months as well, i.e. in such cases assessment test is to be taken up latest by end of March 2019 quarter.
3. When first assessment test will be held? who all are eligible to appear? Is the first test date applicable for both first and second level tests?
The first assessment test is planned to be held on 26 Aug. 2018. Students those who have completed their first or second year of practical training during April-June 2018 are eligible to appear for the test. First and second level of test are scheduled to be conducted on the same date.
4. What is the syllabus for assessment tests during training?
Assessment tests have been introduced basically to assess the knowledge of students which has been gained during practical training. Also, the test can find out their ability to apply the subject specific skills gained during training. Accordingly, there is no defined syllabus for the assessment tests. However, the fields in which practical training is being imparted have already been identified/ on record.
5. Whether all the modules will be compulsory for Assessment Test? If no, then what are the available options?
Two modules, i.e. Accounting and Auditing (including Corporate Laws), will be compulsory whereas students will have to choose one/ two modules out of the available options for the first/ second level of assessment test respectively, as per their specialization areas during practical training. The available options are:
|Sl.||First Year||Second Year|
|1.||Direct Tax||Direct Tax including International Taxation|
|2.||Indirect Tax||Indirect Tax|
|3.||Internal Audit||Internal Audit|
In other words, in the first and second level test, Accounting and Auditing (including Corporate Laws) of 50 marks will be compulsory. In the first level students would be selecting one optional module (comprising of 25 marks) out of Direct Tax, Indirect Tax and Internal Audit, as per their practical training specialisation area, whereas in second levele test students would be selecting two optional modules (comprising of 25 marks each) out of Direct Tax (including International Taxation), Indirect Tax and Internal Audit, as per their practical training specialisation areas.
6. What is the duration and maximum marks of the 1st and 2nd level test?
For first level test the duration is 2 hours and maximum marks are 75 marks, whereas for second level test the duration is 3 hours and maximum marks are 100 marks.
7. What is the purpose behind conducting the assessment tests?
These tests will help students to self-assess themselves and know as to what they have learnt during their training.
8. Are the assessment test Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) based or subjective?
Both the first and second level of assessment test shall be MCQ based.
9. Will the assessment tests be conducted through online mode or pen-paper mode?
These tests will be conducted through online mode only at the designated centres.
10. What is the fee for appearing in the first or second level of assessment tests?
There is no fee payable by Students those who are appearing for the first time, either for first level or for second level assessment test. However, in case a student re-appears in the particular test for improving his/ her grade, a nominal fee will be charged from the students.
11. Where can I register for assessment tests?
For registration to these tests, a portal will be made available to the students through Institute website www.icai.org and ICAI Cloud Campus.
12. I have completed the practical training recently. Am I required to appear for any of these tests?
Since you have completed the practical training, you are not required to appear for any of these tests. It may be noted that assessment tests are applicable in the case of students completing their first or second year of training during 1 April 2018 to 30 June 2018 quarter or subsequent quarters, however students those who have completed their full training then these test are not applicable.
13. I have completed second year of practical training before April 1, 2018. Am I required to appear for any of these tests?
Since you have completed second year of practical training before April 1, 2018, you are not required to appear for any of these tests.
14. I have completed first year of practical training before April 1, 2018. Am I required to appear for first level test?
Since you have completed first year of practical training before April 1, 2018, you are not required to appear for first level test. However, you will be required to appear for second level test after completion of second year of practical training.
15. I will be completing first/ second year of practical training during July-September, 2018. When will I be required to appear for the test?
Since you will be completing first/ second year of practical training during July-September, 2018 quarter, you will be required to appear in the test in the October-December, 2018 quarter.
16. If I will not be able to appear for the test in the designated quarter, will I be allowed to appear in the next quarter?
Normally the assessment test has to be attempted in the next quarter from the quarter in which completion of first/ second year of training takes place. However, in certain circumstances, ICAI may permit extension for one more quarter, i.e. in such cases students will get 6 months from the end of quarter in which first or second year of training has competed.
17. In case someone fails to appear in the first/ second level of assessment tests, what will be the consequences?
In such a case, mark-sheet of the student will show ”Not Appeared” against practical training assessment for that particular level.
18. Assessment tests are conducted at which locations/ centers?
The assessment tests will be conducted at 160+ cities across the country. The test centres will be notified on the registration portal. The students can opt for test centre while registering for the test.
19. Can the assessment tests be submitted online from home/ office?
The assessment tests cannot be submitted online from home/ office, as the students have to appear in person at the designated test centres only.
20. When the results of assessment tests be declared?
The result of the assessment tests will be notified to the students on their login, within a week from the date of assessment test.
21. How to prepare for the first or second level of assessment tests?
In fact, students are required to take their practical training seriously as the application of concepts will be tested in these assessments. The modules have also been mentioned above. Sample questions for practice have been uploaded in BoS Knowledge Portal on the Institute website at the link: https://www.icai.org/post.html?post_id=14836. More questions will be uploaded on the BoS Knowledge Portal for practice purposes in due course.
22. Will there be any negative marking in the assessment tests?
There is no negative marking in these tests.
23. What if someone has registered for practical training in City A and deputed to work in City B for audit purpose… Where to appear/ register for the assessment test?
One can appear for the assessment test anywhere at designated centers and can select the test center preference accordingly, while registering.
24. Under my principal, I am working in X field, say Accounting/ Auditing/ Taxation etc. and I am not in touch with other fields practically. But in the test, students have to attempt questions in 3 or 4 modules. How will I be getting the practical knowledge in all the subjects for appearing in the test?
To cater to this issue only, optional modules have been introduced. You may opt for any 1/2 modules from the choices available. Accounting and Auditing are considered the key subjects in CA curriculum which every aspiring Chartered Accountant should know thoroughly.
25. I had taken a break in my articleship training due to which, first/ second year of my training has completed after April 1, 2018. Am I required to appear for these tests?
Since effectively your first/ second year of practical training has completed after April 1, 2018, you are required to appear for both/ second level test(s) respectively.
26. Is it applicable for students appearing in November, 2018 examination?
These tests are applicable as per the completion of first/ second year of practical training, irrespective of your appearing in November, 2018 examination.
27. I have not cleared Intermediate level examination and I am in second year of Articleship training. Will I be tested for Final level syllabus?
These tests are not having any pre-defined syllabus. The questions will be based on the understanding gathered during the practical training only.
28. If I am not satisfied with the grade I received, will I be allowed to re-appear in the test? If after re-appearing in the test, I get even lower grade, will the first grade be mentioned in the marksheet or the later one?
If you are not satisfied with your grade, you will be given two more chances to re-appear in the test. A nominal fee will be charged for every extra attempt. The best grade will be considered for inclusion in the marksheet. The better of the two grades will be mentioned in the marksheet.
29. Where should I contact in case of any queries/ clarifications required?
For queries/ clarifications, you may call Board of Studies at 0120-3876870/ 3045927 or mail to PTassessment@icai.in