Provisions under Rule 8 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Application for Registration”, are as under:
CGST Rule 8: Application for Registration (Chapter-III: Registration Rules)
(1) Every person, other than a non-resident taxable person, a person required to deduct tax at source under section 51, a person required to collect tax at source under section 52 and a person supplying online information and database access or retrieval services from a place outside India to a non-taxable online recipient referred to in section 14 of the Integrated Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (13 of 2017) who is liable to be registered under sub-section (1) of section 25 and every person seeking registration under sub-section (3) of section 25 (hereafter in this Chapter referred to as “the applicant”) shall, before applying for registration, declare his Permanent Account Number, mobile number, e-mail address, State or Union territory in Part A of FORM GST REG 01 on the common portal, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner:
Provided that a person having a unit(s) in a Special Economic Zone or being a Special Economic Zone developer shall make a separate application for registration as a business vertical distinct from his other units located outside the Special Economic Zone:
further that every person being an Input Service Distributor shall make a separate application for registration as such Input Service Distributor.
(2) (a) The Permanent Account Number shall be validated online by the common portal from the database maintained by the Central Board of Direct Taxes.
(b) The mobile number declared under sub-rule (1) shall be verified through a one-time password sent to the said mobile number; and
(c) The e-mail address declared under sub-rule (1) shall be verified through a separate one-time password sent to the said e-mail address.
(3) On successful verification of the Permanent Account Number, mobile number and e-mail address, a temporary reference number shall be generated and communicated to the applicant on the said mobile number and e-mail address.
(4) Using the reference number generated under sub-rule (3), the applicant shall electronically submit an application in Part B of FORM GST REG 01, duly signed or verified through electronic verification code, along with the documents specified in the said Form at the common portal, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
(4A) The applicant shall, while submitting an application under sub-rule (4), with effect from 01.04.2020, undergo authentication of Aadhaar number for grant of registration.
(4A) Where an applicant, other than a person notified under sub-section (6D) of section 25, opts for authentication of Aadhaar number, he shall, while submitting the application under sub-rule (4), with effect from 21st August, 2020, undergo authentication of Aadhaar number and the date of submission of the application in such cases shall be the date of authentication of the Aadhaar number, or fifteen days from the submission of the application in Part B of FORM GST REG 01 under sub-rule (4), whichever is earlier. (Refer Note 3 & 4)
(5) On receipt of an application under sub-rule (4), an acknowledgement shall be issued electronically to the applicant in FORM GST REG 02.
(6) A person applying for registration as a casual taxable person shall be given a temporary reference number by the common portal for making advance deposit of tax in accordance with the provisions of section 27 and the acknowledgement under sub-rule (5) shall be issued electronically only after the said deposit.
1. First proviso to sub-rule (1) omitted w.e.f. 01/02/2019 vide Central Tax Notification 3/2019 dt. 29/01/2019.
2. Sub-rule (4A) inserted vide Central Tax Notification 16/2020 dt. 23/03/2020.
3. Sub-rule (4A) substituted w.r.e.f. 01/04/2020 vide Central Tax Notification 62/2020 dt. 20/08/2020.
4. Sub-rule (4A) again substituted w.e.f. a date to be notified later vide Central Tax Notification 94/2020 dt. 22/12/2020, as under:
(4A) Every application made under rule (4) shall be followed by,-
(a) biometric-based Aadhaar authentication and taking photograph, unless exempted under subsection (6D) of section 25, if he has opted for authentication of Aadhaar number; or
(b) taking biometric information, photograph and verification of such other KYC documents, as notified, unless the applicant is exempted under sub-section (6D) of section 25, if he has opted not to get Aadhaar authentication done,
of the applicant where the applicant is an individual or of such individuals in relation to the applicant as notified under sub-section (6C) of section 25 where the applicant is not an individual, along with the verification of the original copy of the documents uploaded with the application in FORM GST REG 01 at one of the Facilitation Centers notified by the Commissioner for the purpose of this sub-rule and the application shall be deemed to be complete only after completion of the process laid down under this sub-rule.
Note: The CGST Rules 2017 along with the prescribed Forms were initially notified vide Central Tax Notifications 3/2017 dt. 19/06/2017 (Rule 1 to 26), 10/2017 dt. 28/06/2017 (Rules 27 to 138) and 15/2017 dt. 01/07/2017 (Rules 139 to 162). These Rules/ Forms were subsequently amended by CBIC through various Notifications issued from time to time. Information on this page is a Rule-wise compilation of Amendments made by all such Notifications upto 29/12/2021, with best possible efforts for accuracy. In any case, E&OE. For official/ updated information, please visit CBIC website.
|CBIC Updates (GST)|
|Index of GST Circulars, Notifications, Press Releases, Orders, etc. issued by CBIC from 2017 and onwards along with Section-wise/ Rule-wise Text of GST Acts/ Rules:|
|CGST: CGST Act/ Definitions, CGST Rules, GST Forms|
|IGST: IGST Act/ Definitions, IGST Rules|
|UTGST: UTGST Act/ Definitions, UTGST Rules|
|GST Circulars (CGST/ IGST/ UTGST): 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|GST Instructions: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CGST Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CGST Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|IGST Notifications: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|IGST Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|UT Tax/ UTGST Notifications: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|UT Tax/ UTGST Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|Compensation Cess Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|Compensation Cess Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Orders (CGST/ IGST/ UTGST): 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Press Releases: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|Note: For Official/ updated copy, please visit the CBIC website.|
Please clarify, if the company has two SEZ Units in the same Zone, then how many registrations required? whether one or two? In case company has two SEZ Units in different zones but in the same State, then how many registrations required?