Provisions under Section 108 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Act, 2017 relating to “Powers of Revisional/ Appellate Authority”:
Section 108 of CGST Act 2017: Powers of Revisional Authority (CHAPTER XVIII – APPEALS AND REVISION)
(1) Subject to the provisions of section 121 and any rules made thereunder, the Revisional Authority may, on his own motion, or upon information received by him or on request from the Commissioner of State tax, or the Commissioner of Union territory tax, call for and examine the record of any proceedings, and if he considers that any decision or order passed under this Act or under the State Goods and Services Tax Act or the Union Territory Goods and Services Tax Act by any officer subordinate to him is erroneous in so far as it is prejudicial to the interest of revenue and is illegal or improper or has not taken into account certain material facts, whether available at the time of issuance of the said order or not or in consequence of an observation by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India, he may, if necessary, stay the operation of such decision or order for such period as he deems fit and after giving the person concerned an opportunity of being heard and after making such further inquiry as may be necessary, pass such order, as he thinks just and proper, including enhancing or modifying or annulling the said decision or order.
(2) The Revisional Authority shall not exercise any power under sub-section (1), if,-
(b) the period specified under sub-section (2) of section 107 has not yet expired or more than three years have expired after the passing of the decision or order sought to be revised; or
(c) the order has already been taken for revision under this section at an earlier stage; or
(d) the order has been passed in exercise of the powers under sub-section (1):
Provided that the Revisional Authority may pass an order under sub-section (1) on any point which has not been raised and decided in an appeal referred to in clause (a) of sub-section (2), before the expiry of a period of one year from the date of the order in such appeal or before the expiry of a period of three years referred to in clause (b) of that sub-section, whichever is later.
(4) If the said decision or order involves an issue on which the Appellate Tribunal or the High Court has given its decision in some other proceedings and an appeal to the High Court or the Supreme Court against such decision of the Appellate Tribunal or the High Court is pending, the period spent between the date of the decision of the Appellate Tribunal and the date of the decision of the High Court or the date of the decision of the High Court and the date of the decision of the Supreme Court shall be excluded in computing the period of limitation referred to in clause (b) of sub-section (2) where proceedings for revision have been initiated by way of issue of a notice under this section.
(5) Where the issuance of an order under sub-section (1) is stayed by the order of a court or Appellate Tribunal, the period of such stay shall be excluded in computing the period of limitation referred to in clause (b) of sub-section (2).
(6) For the purposes of this section, the term,–
(i) “record” shall include all records relating to any proceedings under this Act available at the time of examination by the Revisional Authority;
(ii) “decision” shall include intimation given by any officer lower in rank than the Revisional Authority.
|Note: CBEC notifies 01/07/2017 as the Commencement date for Sections 6 to 9, 11 to 21, 31 to 41, 42 [except proviso to sub-section (9)], 43 [except proviso to sub-section (9)], 44 to 50, 53 to 138, 140 to 145, 147 to 163 and 165 to 174 of the CGST Act 2017, vide Notification 9/2017.|
Note: The CGST Act 2017 has been notified vide GOI Notification dt. 12/04/2017, which has subsequently been amended through CGST (Extension to J&K) Act 2017, Finance Act 2018, CGST Amendment Act 2018, Finance Act 2019, Finance Act 2020, Taxation and Other Laws (Relaxation of Certain Provisions) Ordinance 2020, Finance Act 2021, Finance Act 2022 including various Notifications issued by the Govt./ CBIC from time to time, relating to the commencement dates of various Sections/ Provisions in the respective CGST/ Amendment Acts, wherever required. Information on this page is a Section-wise compilation of the Amendments made by various Notifications issued by CBIC from time to time, with best possible efforts for accuracy. In any case, E&OE. For official/ updated information, please visit CBIC website.
|CBIC Updates (GST)|
|Index of GST Circulars, Notifications, Press Releases, Orders, etc. issued by CBIC from 2017 and onwards along with Section-wise/ Rule-wise Text of GST Acts/ Rules:|
|CGST: CGST Act/ Definitions, CGST Rules, GST Forms|
|IGST: IGST Act/ Definitions, IGST Rules|
|UTGST: UTGST Act/ Definitions, UTGST Rules|
|GST Circulars (CGST/ IGST/ UTGST): 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|GST Instructions: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017
|CGST Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CGST Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|IGST Notifications: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|IGST Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|UT Tax/ UTGST Notifications: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|UT Tax/ UTGST Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|Compensation Cess Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|Compensation Cess Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Orders (CGST/ IGST/ UTGST): 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Press Releases: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|Note: For Official/ updated copy, please visit the CBIC website.|