Provisions under Section 117 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Act, 2017 relating to “Appeal to High Court”, are as under:
Section 117 of CGST Act 2017: Appeal to High Court (CHAPTER XVIII – APPEALS AND REVISION)
(1) Any person aggrieved by any order passed by the State Bench or Area Benches of the Appellate Tribunal may file an appeal to the High Court and the High Court may admit such appeal, if it is satisfied that the case involves a substantial question of law.
(2) An appeal under sub-section (1) shall be filed within a period of one hundred and eighty days from the date on which the order appealed against is received by the aggrieved person and it shall be in such form, verified in such manner as may be prescribed:
Provided that the High Court may entertain an appeal after the expiry of the said period if it is satisfied that there was sufficient cause for not filing it within such period.
(3) Where the High Court is satisfied that a substantial question of law is involved in any case, it shall formulate that question and the appeal shall be heard only on the question so formulated, and the respondents shall, at the hearing of the appeal, be allowed to argue that the case does not involve such question:
Provided that nothing in this sub-section shall be deemed to take away or abridge the power of the court to hear, for reasons to be recorded, the appeal on any other substantial question of law not formulated by it, if it is satisfied that the case involves such question.
(4) The High Court shall decide the question of law so formulated and deliver such judgment thereon containing the grounds on which such decision is founded and may award such cost as it deems fit.
(5) The High Court may determine any issue which–
(a) has not been determined by the State Bench or Area Benches; or
(b) has been wrongly determined by the State Bench or Area Benches, by reason of a decision on such question of law as herein referred to in sub-section (3).
(6) Where an appeal has been filed before the High Court, it shall be heard by a Bench of not less than two Judges of the High Court, and shall be decided in accordance with the opinion of such Judges or of the majority, if any, of such Judges.
(7) Where there is no such majority, the Judges shall state the point of law upon which they differ and the case shall, then, be heard upon that point only, by one or more of the other Judges of the High Court and such point shall be decided according to the opinion of the majority of the Judges who have heard the case including those who first heard it.
(8) Where the High Court delivers a judgment in an appeal filed before it under this section, effect shall be given to such judgment by either side on the basis of a certified copy of the judgment.
(9) Save as otherwise provided in this Act, the provisions of the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908, relating to appeals to the High Court shall, as far as may be, apply in the case of appeals under this section.
1. CBEC notifies 01/07/2017 as the Commencement date for Section 117 of the CGST Act 2017, vide Central Tax Notification 9/2017 dt. 28/06/2017.
Note: The CGST Act 2017 has been notified vide GOI Notification dt. 12/04/2017, which has subsequently been amended through CGST (Extension to J&K) Act 2017, Finance Act 2018, CGST Amendment Act 2018, Finance Act 2019, Finance Act 2020, Taxation and Other Laws (Relaxation of Certain Provisions) Ordinance 2020, Finance Act 2021, Finance Act 2022 including various Notifications issued by the Govt./ CBIC from time to time, relating to the commencement dates of various Sections/ Provisions in the respective CGST/ Amendment Acts, wherever required. Information on this page is a Section-wise compilation of Amendments made by all such Notifications, with best possible efforts for accuracy. In any case, E&OE. For official/ updated information, please visit CBIC website.
|CBIC Updates (GST)|
|Index of GST Circulars, Notifications, Press Releases, Orders, etc. issued by CBIC from 2017 and onwards along with Section-wise/ Rule-wise Text of GST Acts/ Rules:|
|CGST: CGST Act/ Definitions, CGST Rules, GST Forms|
|IGST: IGST Act/ Definitions, IGST Rules|
|UTGST: UTGST Act/ Definitions, UTGST Rules|
|GST Circulars (CGST/ IGST/ UTGST): 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|GST Instructions: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CGST Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CGST Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|IGST Notifications: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|IGST Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|UT Tax/ UTGST Notifications: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|UT Tax/ UTGST Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|Compensation Cess Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|Compensation Cess Rate Notifications: 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Orders (CGST/ IGST/ UTGST): 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|CBIC Press Releases: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017|
|Note: For Official/ updated copy, please visit the CBIC website.|