Rule 61 of ‘Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules 2017’: Form and Manner of Submission of Monthly Return
Provisions under Rule 61 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Form and Manner of Submission of Monthly Return”, are as under:
CGST Rule 61: Form and Manner of Submission of Monthly Return (Chapter-VIII: Returns)
(1) Every registered person other than a person referred to in section 14 of the Integrated Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 or an Input Service Distributor or a non-resident taxable person or a person paying tax under section 10 or section 51 or, as the case may be, under section 52 shall furnish a return specified under sub-section (1) of section 39 in FORM GSTR-3 electronically through the common portal either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
(2) Part A of the return under sub-rule (1) shall be electronically generated on the basis of information furnished through FORM GSTR-1, FORM GSTR-2 and based on other liabilities of preceding tax periods.
(3) Every registered person furnishing the return under sub-rule (1) shall, subject to the provisions of section 49, discharge his liability towards tax, interest, penalty, fees or any other amount payable under the Act or the provisions of this Chapter by debiting the electronic cash ledger or electronic credit ledger and include the details in Part B of the return in FORM GSTR-3.
(4) A registered person, claiming refund of any balance in the electronic cash ledger in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (6) of section 49, may claim such refund in Part B of the return in FORM GSTR-3 and such return shall be deemed to be an application filed under section 54.
[[(5) Where the time limit for furnishing of details in FORM GSTR-1 under section 37 and in FORM GSTR-2 under section 38 has been extended and the circumstances so warrant, the Commissioner may, by notification, [specify the manner and conditions subject to which the]$1 return shall be furnished in FORM GSTR-3B electronically through the common portal, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
(6) Where a return in FORM GSTR-3B has been furnished, after the due date for furnishing of details in FORM GSTR-2:
(a) Part A of the return in FORM GSTR-3 shall be electronically generated on the basis of information furnished through FORM GSTR-1, FORM GSTR-2 and based on other liabilities of preceding tax periods and PART B of the said return shall be electronically generated on the basis of the return in FORM GSTR-3B furnished in respect of the tax period;
(b) the registered person shall modify Part B of the return in FORM GSTR-3 based on the discrepancies, if any, between the return in FORM GSTR-3B and the return in FORM GSTR-3 and discharge his tax and other liabilities, if any;
(c) where the amount of input tax credit in FORM GSTR-3 exceeds the amount of input tax credit in terms of FORM GSTR-3B, the additional amount shall be credited to the electronic credit ledger of the registered person.]]$2
$1. Substituted for “specify that” vide Notification No. 22/2017 Central Tax dt 17 Aug. 2017 w.e.f. 1 July 2017
$2. Inserted vide Notification No. 17/2017 Central Tax dt 27 July 2017 w.e.f. 1 July 2017
Above information is based on Updated Compilation of “CGST Rules 2017” (as amended upto 9 Oct. 2018) shared by CBIC (i.e. as notified/ amended upto 9 Oct. 2018 by the CBIC). For detailed/ official information and/or subsequent updates, please refer relevant Notifications.
It may be noted that Rules 27 to 138 (pertaining to various Chapters) of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 were initially notified by CBIC (CBEC) vide CGST (2nd Amendment) Rules, 2017 Notification No. 10/2017 Central Tax dt. 28 June 2017, applicable w.e.f. 1 July 2017 (or as may be specified in respective Rules).